Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happiness vs. Pleasure

First of all, today is mother's day. I have to take a second to acknowledge my wonderful, beautiful, inspiring, loving mother! I feel thankful to have had such an amazing mom growing up, and I continue to feel blessed every day to have her as my mommy!

So today I am sitting here curled up on my couch with my cat in my lap while it's pouring rain outside. It's the perfect day to relax and contemplate life. It's things like this that make me happy. It's not bad food that does. Bad food makes you happy like being an adulterer does. It may be fun, but you're sure as hell going to feel guilty. This isn't happiness. It's PLEASURE.

Let's talk about some of the things that make me genuinely HAPPY: having a clean room, organizing (I'm so weird), my cats (especially when they sleep in my lap!), the rain, the feeling I get after a good workout, giving compliments, singing, my family, when someone flashes their lights at me to signal there's a cop coming up!... Lots more than that, but those are the few that immediately come up.

Instead of living a life based on momentary pleasure, I vow to do at least a couple things a day that make me HAPPY.

No comments:

Post a Comment